Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Wholesome Table Review

The Wholesome Table
30th St, corner 7th Ave. Bonifacio High Street Central, Bonifacio City, Taguig


This is a new organic food restaurant by Bianca Araneta Elizalde. The ingredients used are of good quality and from organic sources, even the sauces are all-natural and made from scratch. The recipes do not consist of high fructose corn syrup, refined sugar, or trans fats. 

What caught my attention was the "organic food" sign outside. In the past, I would have turned around but since I changed my life and started eating healthy, I have been begging for there to be more places like this. 

As I walked inside, I was impressed; it was everything that I had planned for a future restaurant; tree in the middle, wooden ceiling, bar with a chalkboard, glass windows to the kitchen. If I do make a restaurant in the future, I'm going to have to change my ideas a little so that it isn't too similar. 







I enjoyed the placement mat that described the restaurant's description and goals. The world is about changing, growing and improving. Spreading knowledge about healthy eating is of utmost importance.



They serve several Power bowls that include either brown rice or Quinoa which is perfect if you are looking for a meal that is not heavy but filling. You will wake up the next day thanking yourself. I ate at The Wholesome Table when it was just 2 weeks new, thus many of the dishes that I was able to try were not available when I returned. As a new restaurant, I guess they are adding, removing and changing dishes to make a permanent menu according to the customer's liking.



Although one of my favourite recipes they sold in the beginning was this mashed squash with sunflower seeds and a type of tofu topping. It was delicious! When I returned on my birthday, it was no longer there. I think they should seriously consider putting that back on their menu. 


We also ordered our very first Veggie Burger. I personally never tried one, but since we were in an organic food restaurant it pushes you to try dishes you would never get in other restaurants. It was well plated and it was blended well enough to give an intriguing taste. I kept on stealing some bites since it was not my order.  



I returned on another week and was able to try the pizza, my favourite was "The Barcelona" (p690) which was a Spanish-inspired pizza with tomato sauce, turkey chorizo, shiitake mushrooms, roasted garlic, fresh mozzarella, and Grana Padano. It was delicious! I would love to go back and get some right now. 

They also have their own bottled vegetable mixed drinks like Detoxify bar. My favourite was "BE AWESOME" (p250) and I think its like one of those green drinks you always see on Pinterest to lose weight. I chose it because I was hungover, it actually helped a little, it even tasted good! Detoxifying, Alkalizing. Kale, spinach, parsley, romaine, celery, cucumber, apple, lemon. 

Like any new restaurants, there are always a few things that need improvement. The Chicken Marsala had a bland taste and was watery. I will be a little harsh with the Chicken Parmigiana since it is one of my favourite dishes to cook and eat; it was covered in too much breading, the chicken was thick and little dry and the sauce that was provided was little in proportion to the chicken serving. It's great to try to new things but I think the sauce should already be on the Chicken for Chicken Parmigiana, and there needs to be some type of cheese topping.




I hope they improve these recipes soon, otherwise, I think the Wholesome Table is a remarkable restaurant that intrigues a market new to this type of food. I believe it will be the gateway restaurant to opening the new trend of healthy eating. 

Julia Quisumbing





No comments:

Post a Comment

Julia Quis

Live for the Moment, Not by the Past.